February 09, 2016: As a radical bookstore, we carry the work of women, people of color, and other marginalized groups throughout the year, but we're proud to have these notable books and zines in our shop this February in celebration of Black History Month.
- March: Book Two by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell — A graphic novel memoir that goes behind the scenes of the some of the Civil Rights Movement's most pivotal moments.
- Me, My Hair, and I: Twenty-seven Women Untangle a Obsession edited by Elizabeth Benedict – A surprising, insightful, and at times funny collection of essays that examines every aspect of women's lives.
- The Hip-Hop Board Book by Martin Ander — A charming, colorful picture book featuring events and objects relating to hip-hop culture.
- A de Activista by Martha E. Gonzalez and Innosanto Nagara — A Spanish ABC board book made for the next generation of progressives!
- Rad American Women A-Z by Kate Schatz and Miriam Klein Stahl — A great all-ages book highlighting influential and groundbreaking women, from Angela Davis to Zora Neale Hurston.
- Understanding Mass Incarceration: A People's Guide to the Key Civil Rights Struggle of Our Time by James Kilgore — A comprehensive yet accessible overview of the new Jim Crow and America's criminal justice system.
- We Too Sing America by Deepa Iyer — A leading racial justice activist sheds light on the ongoing, state-sanctioned persecution of a range of American minorities.
- Citizen by Claudia Rankine — A bold account about being black in modern America.
- The Prince Zine by Joshua James Amberson — Everything you need to know about the activist, musician, and Artist Formerly Known as Prince.
- Hell is a Very Small Place: Voices From Solitary Confinement by Jean Casella, James Ridgeway, and Sarah Shourd — A dozen firsthand accounts about life in solitary confinement.
- When We Fight, We Win!: Twenty-First-Century Social Movements and the Activists That Are Transforming Our World by Greg Jobin-Leeds and AgitArte — A vivid, creative, and inspiring book about hard-fought battles for social change with tips for activists to build powerful movements.
- Taking Sides: Revolutionary Solidarity and the Poverty of Liberalism edited by Cindy Milstein — Thirteen insightful essays that serve as a toolbox for honing strategies and tactics of resistance in the face of white supremacy.
December 15, 2015:
Nikki's Favorite Books from 2015:
Nikki's Favorite Zines and Mini Comics from 2015:
Working it 1-4, edited by Red Bickers
The Lesbian Lexicon by Stevie Anntonym
Bloody Pussy: A Feminist Rag by the Blood Sisters
Chicago Haunts by Jillian Barthold
A Miniature Bestiary by Sera Stanton
The Swan the Vulture by Anna Vo
All of Them Brujas by Rebecca Artemisia
Astrology for People who Hate Themselves and Everyone Else by CC Teakell
The Prince Zine by Joshua James Amberson
That's Not Okay: Boundaries for the Conflict-Avoidant by Breeane Boland
Books That Helped Me Smash the Patriarchy in 2015:
Ian's Favorite Comics and Books from 2015:
Mowgli's Mirror by Olivier Schrauwen
Megahex by Simon Hanselmann
Crickets #4 by Sammy Harkham
Fante Bukowski by Noah Van Sciver
Dressing by Michael Deforge
Killing and Dying by Adrian Tomine
Black River by Josh Simmons
Step Aside Pops by Kate Beaton
Super Magic Mutant Academy by Jillian Tamaki
Adam's Top Ten Books for Fighting Creative Block:
DIY Magic: A Strange and Whimsical Guide to Creativity by Anthony Alvarado
Women Street Artists of Latin America by Rachel Cassandra and Lauren Gucik
Found Magazine: The Early Years
Manga Kamishibai: The Art of Japanese Paper Theater by Eric P. Nash
Drawing is Magic by John Hendrix
Creative Block: Advice and Projects from 50 Successful Artists by Danielle Krysa
Show Your Work! 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered by Austin Kleon
Beautiful Birds of the World by PIE Books
Map Mania by PIE Books
Lost in Translation: An Illustrated Compendium of Untranslatable Words from Around the World by Ella Frances Sanders
Nicolette's Favorites from 2015:
The Wilds by Julia Elliott
M Train by Patti Smith
The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson
Illuminating the Stars Coloring Book by Alicia Justus
The Typewriter: A Graphic History of the Beloved Machine by Janine Vangool
Beyond the Dark Veil: Post Mortem and Mourning Photography from the Thanatos Archive
Gift by Lizz Lopez
Sullen Girl: Poems About Fiona Apple by Kiki Nicole
Ghost Guide by Rebecca Artemisa
Selfish Vol. 1 & 2